Bus Accident Attorneys Tackling Large Vehicle Accidents in Alabama
From school buses to coach trips and public services to long-distance Greyhounds, buses are a crucial part of Alabama’s infrastructure and transportation system. They are a vital, useful asset and a familiar sight on our streets and highways.
Sadly, there are incidents where bus journeys go wrong, and the consequences can be catastrophic. The large size of buses and the increased number of passengers on board mean that any accident can be massive in scale and include a number of serious injuries or fatalities. If you find yourself the victim of such an incident, it is crucial that you have access to the finest, most reliable legal advice to allow you to move forward with confidence.
What are the Causes of Bus Accidents?
Bus accidents can have a number of causes and some common factors can include:
- Distracted Driver: a driver who is distracted by anything—be it a passenger, eating or drinking, using a cell phone, or listening to music—is a potential danger on the road, and increases the risk of being involved in a serious accident.In addition, a driver who is distracted due to alcohol or drugs is a huge liability, and the risk of an accident is increased. Drivers who are sleepy or drowsy may also contribute to an incident.
- Speeding/Reckless Driving: even if the driver is not distracted, their driving can still increase the chances of an accident. Speeding reduces the stopping distance of a vehicle, and the size of the bus involved means that this could be the catalyst for a devastating accident. Similarly, any driver who is reckless and fails to adhere to road signs, rules, or traffic signals, or who is not focused when switching lanes or maneuvering could be the reason an accident occurs.
- Poor Weather: unfavorable weather conditions are a common cause of auto accidents, especially for buses. Poor visibility reduces the driver’s field of vision, and heavy winds, snow, or rain could make the road hazardous. If someone is driving too fast for the conditions, this could cause a road traffic accident.
- Mechanical Malfunction: sometimes the blame lies with the truck itself. A mechanical issue, such as a brake or steering failure, can cause the driver to lose control, as could a tire blowout. Any faulty or defective parts of the truck can also play their part; all of these aspects should have been picked up in regular, routine maintenance.
Who is Liable for My Bus Accident?
Depending on the unique circumstances of the crash, there are a number of parties who could be found liable for damages. Common culprits include:
- The Bus Company: all transportation companies have a duty to ensure that the drivers in their employment are fully and adequately trained to carry out the job. In addition, all buses and vehicles must be maintained, regularly inspected, and repaired according to the standards set out by the If you can prove that the bus company was negligent with these checks or that inspections were not carried out, the company may be liable for damages.
- The Bus Driver: an individual driver may also be to blame for the accident.You will need to prove that their actions were careless or reckless and that these actions caused the accident which resulted in the injuries sustained.
- Other Drivers: if other drivers are reckless or negligent, they may be found liable.
- Local Government: in the event that the accident occurred on a public bus, the municipality or local government may be liable. This will require specialist legal advice, as municipalities will require specific deadlines and may have extra protections.
- Manufacturer: the manufacturer of the vehicle, the parts, or any components of said vehicle may also be liable. In some cases, a crash could be the result of a faulty part or a defective design. If you prove this, you will be able to claim compensation and damages.
- A Repair or Maintenance Facility: all vehicles must be repaired and maintained to specific standards; if there is error or negligence here, the maintenance company can be liable.
How Do I Know If I Have a Case?
If you have been injured or involved in an accident on a bus, you will need experienced legal services to work out your best next steps. Potential actions can differ depending on the case’s individual requirements, so you will need qualified and capable advice.
Here at Pharr & Goree Injury Attorneys, we have helped victims of personal injury cases achieve justice across Alabama and can offer the advice and services you need to move forward with confidence. Get in touch today by calling (256) 487-6080 and see how we can help!