Alabama Boating Injury Lawyers Fighting for You After an Accident
There are few things which more relaxing than kicking back and enjoying the great outdoors on your very own boat. Blue skies, the wind in your hair, and the waves gently lapping beneath you all sound like the perfect antidote to the chaos of modern life, and a boat can be a great way to see the sights in serious style.
Sadly, however, the joy of boating can come with some downsides, namely an increased risk of being involved in an accident. The first six months of 2019 saw 68 boating accidents, with 25 fatalities. July alone saw 12 crashes, six of which involved the death of passengers. Enjoying the water can be a risky pastime, and one which could leave you with serious injuries or a life-changing accident.
What Could Cause a Boating Accident?
So just what is the reason for this flood in accidents onboard the nations boats? There are a number of common causes for accidents, including:
- Lack of Boat Maintenance: if key aspects of the boat are not looked after or allowed to fall into disrepair, the consequences can be fatal
- Slippery Boat Deck: this is one of the most common causes of accidents and may be the result of negligence
- Reckless Boat Driver: irresponsible, risky behavior puts all passengers in jeopardy, potentially to the point of death. This may include a driver who is speeding, is under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or who lacks the experience to take the boat out
- Other Passengers: the behavior of others on the boat could play a key role in causing injury
- Poor Safety: lack of protective gear on board
- Bad Weather: poor conditions, including large waves and poor visibility
What Are Your Rights If You Are Involved in a Boating Accident?
If you find yourself the victim of a boating accident, you may be in a position to obtain damages and compensation for any injuries you have suffered. All citizens have a legal obligation to report any boating accident to the relevant authorities as soon as possible, and—followingthis act—you may be able to pursue liability.
In order to be successful in your case, you will need to prove that the other party involved is liable for your injuries or for a wrongful death which occurred. This may be due to negligence or recklessness on the part of the operator, the manufacturer, or another passenger on board.
What If I Am a Worker?
Individuals who work onboard a vessel will be able to seek compensation under the Jones Act for any personal injuries sustained during the course of their employment while onboard the craft. A small amount of negligence is required to qualify under the act, and action can be taken against the employer or the owner of the vessel, if both were aware that the craft was not seaworthy.
The Jones Act is designed to protect seamen in a dangerous working environment, and the compensation obtained can be invaluable for helping workers to plan and live the rest of their lives.
What Damages Can I Get?
Whether you are taking action under the Jones Act or pursuing a personal liability case, you could benefit financially. Damages and compensation can be paid to the victim in an attempt to help them rebuild their lives following an accident, and may cover the following:
- Medical Costs: this can include any expenses which are incurred at the time of the injury, such as ambulance calls, hospital stays, and/or surgery. Any ongoing medical costs which are incurred as a direct result of the injury can also be covered, including medication, rehabilitation, physiotherapy, and/or further treatments.
- Adaptations to Home and Car: if your injuries mean that you can no longer live life as you used to, compensation gained can pay for any adaptations or adjustments to your vehicle and house.
- Loss of Earnings: again, this can be both at the time of the accident and later on. If you are required to take a job with reduced earning capacity, this can also be covered here.
How Can Pharr & Goree Injury Attorneys Help?
Here at Pharr and Goree Injury Attorneys, we have a wealth of experience in a range of personal injury cases. Our experienced team can help you work out the best steps to take for your circumstances and work towards helping you achieve the justice you deserve. Call (205) 5016-0037 today to set up a free consultation and get the help you need.